WOULD YOU LIKE SOME OF YOUR WORK TO BE OUTDOORS?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR MEANINGFUL WORK IN A SUPPORTIVE TEAM ENVIRONMENT?
Grounds Worker (custodial & maintenance)
25hrs per week
Clinton & Windsor facilities
(Transportation to Windsor provided)
Monday – Friday 8:00 am to 1:00 pm
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: The Grounds Worker is responsible for assisting with janitorial and housekeeping responsibilities, as well as general building and grounds maintenance of HCL facilities. Some of the functions of the position include cleaning areas within the Library, the cultivation and care of trees, plants, and flowers; weeding, repairing structures, and maintaining the general landscaping and grounds surrounding the Library. The Grounds Worker essentially provides a clean and safe environment for the public and staff in support of the goals and objectives of the Henry County Library.
Indoor Essential Functions Performed Daily or at Least Periodically:
- Dust furniture in offices and common areas and perform general janitorial duties.
- Clean public and staff restrooms (toilets, stalls, sinks, urinals, waste receptacles, floors) and kitchen or sink areas and restock with paper products in assigned areas.
- Dust mop, sweep, wet mop floors, and vacuum carpet.
- Trash/Recycling removal from offices and public areas of the library.
- Clean Staff Room and perform other general cleaning assignments.
- Assist with performing daily general maintenance of library vehicles including checking tires and gauges and verifying that vehicles are fueled and in proper operating condition.
- Assist the Friends of the Library Group with the semi-annual book sale by unloading and loading materials.
- Periodic painting and drywall patching.
- Wash indoor windows, woodwork, and walls.
- Keeping items in supply closet organized.
- Operate a 2-wheel dolly.
- Unpack boxes.
Outdoor Essential Functions Performed Daily or at Least Periodically:
- Perform general grounds keeping and building maintenance duties.
- Trim shrubs, pull weeds in flowerbeds, and in other areas as needed; prune grounds as needed.
Water outdoor trees, shrubs, plants, flowers, etc. as needed.
- Rake and dispose of leaves on lawn and sidewalk areas; sweep debris from walkways.
- Landscape by planting flowers, grass, or other items such as shrubs and bushes as directed by the Director or Assistant Director.
- Apply pesticide to rid grounds of pests such as mosquitos, wasps, ticks, fleas, etc.
- Apply fertilizer to ground and plants as needed to enhance growth.
- Cut down low-hanging tree limbs that are posing a danger.
- Remove/shovel snow from sidewalks, walkways, and parking lot; spread ice melt to ensure walkways are safe.
- Clean exterior windows and clean gutters; employ designated safety measures as needed.
- Perform minor repairs and maintenance procedures on equipment utilized for grounds keeping.
- Install rock, small areas of cement, ground lighting, and lawn furniture as needed.
Additional Functions Performed Periodically:
- Attend library staff meetings.
- Delivery of materials to Windsor branch.
- Complete other duties as assigned by the Director or Assistant Director.
Physical and Cognitive requirements:
- Ability to read, write and understand written and verbal instructions.
- Ability to effectively communicate.
- Ability to remain calm during emergencies.
- Ability to lift items ranging from 25-50 pounds.
- Ability to push/move loads from 25-150 pounds.
- Ability to work outdoors in extreme temperatures and/or with exposure to outdoor elements.
- Ability to stand and/or walk for long periods.
- Ability to reach heights up to six feet and bend to floor levels; ability to climb a ladder up to 15 feet.
- Ability to work well with the public and staff.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Valid Driver’s License
We require all employees to wear masks. We require that employees socially distance themselves in the workplace and outdoors, and require frequent hand washing. We have also installed plexi-glass barriers at customer service desks.
Interested individuals must complete an employment application. Applications
may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org Applications may also be
returned by mail at the address listed above or in person at either Henry County
Applications accepted until the position is filled.
The Henry County Library adheres to all federal, state and local laws regarding equal employment opportunity.